14 September 2011

Sailor skirt, christened (or finished).

Click image to see little anchors on the buttons!

I finally put the last rivet in the deck (or eyelet in the back waist) and hoisted the sails (er, threaded the back corset).  My Russian navy-inspired skirt is done, and I believe she is seaworthy.

Modeled by me and my photoshoppable twin!

I wore the skirt to work a few days ago, and while I feel reassured that the back eyelet detail is basically historically accurate, it does feel a bit like a ren-faire sexy-reenactment costume.  Maybe I'm too sensitive, but I wish I'd used navy eyelets.  Might do a nail-polish paint job some time.  It also needs a proper navy-colored (shoe)lace.

 My back detail on the left, my vintage reference garment detail on the right. 

The fabric is a navy silk noil from Fashion Fabrics Club that ran considerably when I washed it, so I'm not recommending it.  I underlined the entire skirt in a lightweight cotton sateen and bound the edges of the facing with vintage candy-striped bias binding.  The buttons have anchors on them, and were purchased in the garment district.  

The pattern is self-drafted from my sloper, with help from the Sailor in Bermuda tutorial on burdastyle.com.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love it, fits perfectly too.